Saturday, February 16, 2013

SCIFI CLASS 4: The Women That Men Don’t See by James Tiptree Jr.


“Tip’ was a crucial part of modern SF's maturing process (...)‘He’(...) wrote powerful fiction challenging readers' assumptions about everything, especially sex and gender.”—Suzy McKee Charnas, The Women's Review of Books

“Certainly my inner world will never be a peaceful place of bloom; it will have some peace, and occasional riots of bloom, but always a little fight going on too. There is no way I can be peacefully happy in this society and in this skin. I am committed to Uneasy Street. I like it; it is my idea that this street leads to the future, and that I am being true to a way of life which is not here yet, but is more real than what is here.” –James Tiptree Jr.

For our next class we will read and discuss The Women That Men Don’t See (1973) by James Tiptree Jr.

Here is a link to an online version of the text

If you would like a pdf version, search for “the women that men don’t see” in quotes on google. The first option that will come up should be a link to the pdf.

Please let me know if you have any trouble.


No comments:

Post a Comment