Thursday, January 24, 2013

"One of the essential functions of sceince fiction, I think, is precisely this kind of question-asking: reversals of a habitual way of thinking, metaphors for what our language has no words for as yet, experiments in imagination." Ursula K. LeGuin

Language of The Night is a compilation of essays on fantasy and sceince fiction by Ursula K. LeGuin.  There are several essays that discuss the nature writing sceince fiction and gender. This particular essay stuck out to me: Is Gender Necessary? (1976) Redux (1988). I have attached a pdf to this post for viewing. If you have trouble accessing it, please let me know and I can do my best to get a hard-copy.

For the first class please come prepared to discuss this essay, the introduction to The Left Hand of Darkness, and your throughts and ideas on science fiction, fantasy, gender, and sexulaity.

Reminder that class will be held Friday February First at 6pm at Sycamore House (3111 Palmyra St.)

No comments:

Post a Comment